Circular economy could help boost EU GDP by EUR 1.8 trillion by 2030, result in over 1 million new jobs across the EU by 2030, and be central to cutting greenhouse gas emissions and the chemical industry could be at the forefront of this transition by offering innovative solution for a better use of the materials and energy sources. (COM; 2019) However a few challenges are preventing a smooth shift to circular economy, in particular:
- Lack of awareness about circular economy benefits at social, environmental and business level.
- Lack of specialized training and education promoting skills necessary to fit in the circular economy model
- Lack of national policies promoting ESD principles through a multi-sectorial approach
- Lack of interest in Science and Technology subjects and related career among European students and young people
CIRCLE-LAB, n line with the European lifelong learning approach, is aimed at supporting the initial and continuous professional development of teachers’ profiles through the application of practical and innovative tools in order to promote circular chemistry in secondary schools. The project will consider identified needs & gaps related to circular chemistry education and in particular:
- lack of a promotion of circular economy principles and ESD core competencies within chemistry education.
- necessity of promoting and developing digital learning environment.
- need for a practice-based approach that provides innovative resources and tools
IO1-Circular Economy Modules
This output aims at defining specific educational Modules in the field of Circular Economy for high school students to meet this need for better quality learning material.
IO2-Teacher Training Program
A training curriculum to offer to teachers/educators/tutor some practical methods for create awareness among high school students on circular economy matters, mixing technical contents and motivational and moderation strategies.
IO3-Circular Chemistry Game
Partners will identify and develop practical tools that teachers can use during learning activities such as educational game, videos, or interactive manuals.
IO4-CIRCLE LAB online Environment
The CIRLCE_LAB online environment will consist of two key components: The MOOC and the Structured ToolKit.
CIRCLE LAB is an innovative learning approach for circular chemistry in secondary education. The project aims to develop teacher training courses and educational tools around the circular economy focusing on sustainable chemistry. CIRCLE LAB will offer digital tools such as videos, games, interactive manuals for the education of the school players (students, teachers, families). The goal is to enhance awareness on sustainability and circular economy and supporting active citizenship. CIRCLE LAB wants to boost the students and teachers’ abilities and their interest in STEAM subjects.